412-343-1661  |    [email protected]

Our History

MLEDP History and Organizational Milestones

Formed in response to community need in 1987, MLEDP began before and after school programming in two elementary schools for 19 children and now provides care year round for children in each Mt. Lebanon neighborhood.

  • Spring 1986: Community Relations Board survey to the Community: results show a stated need for safe, caring places for school-age children
  • October 1986: Mt. Lebanon School Board provided space & supplies for a short time to help form MLEDP
  • Spring 1987: MLEDP incorporated as a non-profit corporation
  • August 1987: Opened two sites - Howe School and Washington School
  • August 1988: Opened two additional sites - Lincoln School and Jefferson School
  • August 1989: Opened two additional sites - Foster School and Markham School
  • June 1991: Opened Summer Fun - full day care during the summer recess
  • August 1993: Opened Kindergarten Care Program
  • Fall 1995: Begin transportation service for Kindergarten Care and summer pool days
  • February 2001: The MLEDP Center at Lincoln School was accredited by the National School Age Care Alliance. This is the first school-age accreditation for MLEDP and also the first in Western Pennsylvania and only the fourth in the State of Pennsylvania
  • May - June, 2001: The MLEDP Center at Howe School was accredited by the National School Age Care Alliance
  • June 2003: The MLEDP Center at Jefferson School is accredited by the National School Age Care Alliance
  • August 2003: Opened new site at Dormont School
  • September 2003 - 2005: Computers purchased and Internet access available to centers
  • September 2005 - Opened new site at Hoover School
  • August 2012 - MLEDP 25th Anniversary
  • June 2013 - Closed site at Dormont School
  • August 2017 - MLEDP 30th Anniversary
  • September 2019 - Opened second kindergarten site at Foster School